12/3 romex

Old 12-07-03, 12:17 AM
jblminor
Visiting Guest
Question 12/3 romex

This is a simple question, but I always ask first. I am familiar with simple 12/2 black/white romex, but I am not familiar with 12/3 black/red/white romex. My question is simply "what is the black, what is the red?" It's obvious that the white is neutral and bare is ground and the black or red is another neutral, but which one. Please help! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-03, 12:36 AM
bubinga1
Visiting Guest
It's obvious that the white is neutral and bare is ground and the black or red is another neutral, but which one. Please help! Thanks.
neutral

You ment another HOT correct.

I have seen it used in multi-wire circuits, (2 circuits, 2 hots,
same neutral
)and where the power comes in at the switch, and you want to feed 1/2 0f an outlet with full time current, and the other 1/2 with switched current,

I am sure there are other uses,

Old 12-07-03, 12:47 AM
jblminor
Visiting Guest
thanks for responding, and yes, I did mean another hot wire. Here's my delimma- I am replacing a 3-way switch with a switch/receptace where the receptacle is constantly hot. I am looking at the diagram on the box of the switch and it shows a hot wire, a hot/neutral wire, a neutral wire and a ground. the ground and white neutral are obvious, but I am confused on the black/red issue. can you help?

Old 12-07-03, 02:44 AM
bubinga1
Visiting Guest
In other words, you have a 3 way switch that you want to change to a switch/outlet combo?

Do you know if the power comes into the switch box, or is the power coming into the light fixture, with a switch loop to the switch.

How many wires are in the switch box, and what are the colors, and how are they wired?

Old 12-07-03, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have not seen switch/outlet combinations where the switch is a three-way switch. If they do not make these then you will need to add the outlet near the switch, or replace the box with a larger box and add the outlet to the box.

This all assumes that you have constant power to the box, which you may not have. Determine this first.

Old 12-07-03, 09:47 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
If you have a 3way switch with only red black white and ground then you sdon't have enough wires to add a receptacle to this box.