upgrading from 60 amp to 100amp.?

Old 12-11-03, 08:27 AM
ducati1212
Visiting Guest
upgrading from 60 amp to 100amp.?

I am upgrading my old 60 amp box to a new 100 amp service with breakers. My question is should I have gone to a 200 amp box..? I have a very small ranch style home and it seemed like 200 was overkill. I do plan on adding on to the house but not for at least 6 - 10 years. is the 100 amp box going to be enough.

Old 12-11-03, 09:01 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That all depends. What electric devices are in the home, particularily 220 devices? Water heater? Electric range? Water pump? Electric dryer?

Also, what size is the box? How full will the box be when you make the conversion?

Old 12-11-03, 09:08 AM
ducati1212
Visiting Guest
I just switched my house over to gas so I have a gas water heater now but I am running a electric stove and an electric dryer. in the winter I run some window AC units. I might switch the stove over to gas but the dryer will stay electric because it is brand new. not sure what size box.. dont know enought about electrical to know that. I know its a 60 amp fuse box now and I do not blow fuses and it will be upgraded to a 100 amp breaker box..

Old 12-11-03, 06:38 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In general, I suggest that any upgrade go all the way to 200 amps, since the cost difference isn't that great. The other factors that we'd need to give you a good answer is the total square feet (after any envisioned addition), how the home is heated, and what kind of climate you live in (must be pretty hot if you run air conditioning in the winter!).

If your house is "very small" and will stay so, you should be okay with 100 amps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: