Second hand wire ??

Old 12-12-03, 08:12 PM
Futures1
Visiting Guest
Second hand wire ??

Does anyone know of a salvage yard which may carry second hand electrical wire (wire removed from a factory or torn down building), or perhaps someone going out of the business or who has overstocked!!

I have a shop without electric and want to
install a 100 Amp service. The problem is.. it will require that I run 250 feet of heavy guage wire (underground) and the cost of the new cable itself would run as much as the rest of the wiring would !!
The house itself is equipped with 200 amp service panels (3 of them), so I have plenty of power to spare !!

Thanks.. Futures1

Old 12-12-03, 10:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most of the wire that ends up in salvage is there because it was not worthy where it came from before for electrical purposes.

I soppose the final answer is no, but others may have an idea I don't.
You're right, 1000 ft of wire (250*4) for a 100A service is a bundle of money, and the most costly component.
Measure twice, cut once!

Are you planning on PVC schedule 80, or direct burial quadplex?

gj

Old 12-12-03, 11:15 PM
S
I have a building I feed with number 2 alum about 200 ft, put a 60A breaker on it. Wasnt too pricey. I used 3 conductor and added a number 8 twhn ground wire.

Old 12-13-03, 04:49 PM
Futures1
Visiting Guest
Pre Owned Wire;

Than you both for the input !!

I will be running the wires through PVC from one of the 200 amp boxes at the house (which has only a few breakers in it) to the workshop !!

As for the 60 amp service... I have a little concern there. Several of my tools are wired for 220. I also have an arc welder, vac unit, compressor, exhaust system for my spray booth along with the standard wood working and DIY tools !!

I have found used 10, 12 & 14 Guage wire in the past, with proper inspection and trimming of what I've used, it has always served me well !! The only problems I have had are the same ones I sometimes have with new wire... "Pilot Error"... and the circuit breaker has always notified me at once that I did a dumb thing !!

Futures 1

Old 12-13-03, 08:57 PM
S
I bought some 4/0 alum a while back from the supply house and as I recal it was about 1.30 ft and I look at HD and it was quite a bit higher. You would have trouble terminating the ends into small breakers but they make connectors for that and maybe someone here can reccommend them as I havnt had the occasion to use them. The wire I got was 3 conductor, I think 4/0 4/0 2/0 and you could add a ground wire. Because you have to use underground you can direct bury this wire or if I was going to use pipe I might be tempted to use electric pipe to leave and enter the buildings and even use sewer pipe for the underground in the trench. We use it where we want to cover excavation work before the power company gets there and they love it,, 4 inch and easy to pull.

Old 12-13-03, 10:03 PM
here's my 2 cents - try a scrap yard. lots of scrap yards that
accept "valuable" metals like copper or aluminum accept wire
too. I have often bought new wire there for a small price.
they usually sell by the pound not by the foot.

you electricians out there probably know how the wire
gets to the scrap yard better than I do...

Old 12-13-03, 10:55 PM
S
I dont think the odds are good of finding useable pieces of wire that long are good. Guys would snatch it up before it got there. Short pieces you find but long ones unlikely. I think the best bet is shop hard at a couple electric wholesale houses. Go to HD and price it so you know what you are looking at, then go shopping. Something else,, is it 250 ft between them? Get an accurate measurement first thing and figure how much it is for the risers. This makes a big difference as if it is less than 250 there are some desigtn options. You might find it effecient to buy a 1000' roll of one size, if its over 250 you still might find that it pays. Use 3 wires of it and a different one for ground. You can get copper in 250's and 500'. Or maybe a store has the last of a roll,,, you never know, measure first.

Old 12-14-03, 08:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I feel this needs to be asked and I hope no offense is taken.

Why is someone with two homes, one of which has a 600(!) amp service, concerned with the price of 250' of wire?!

Maybe if one was like this with all matters anyone could have two homes.

My advice is straight forward. Suck it up and buy the correct wire. Just shop the price.
Just like tools. Get right tool for the job.

Old 12-14-03, 07:46 PM
rob1kva
Visiting Guest
I agree with Speedy USE/AL is not at all expensive even for 250'. I didn't do the caculations but you will probably need two 1/0 & one #1 for the sevice to compensate for voltage drop. I dont think any scrapyard would sell any cable or wire back to anyone. From a code standpoint {and personal opinion} it is against code to reuse old or used material taken from one jobsite to use in another installation especially wire for a permanent installation.

Old 12-15-03, 07:14 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Scrap yards will gladly sell wire they have purchased. Often at twice the price they paid, but still less than from a supplier. What section of the code prohibits re-using conductors?

Old 12-15-03, 11:49 AM
noxx
Visiting Guest
Pete, I think nagging every penny like that is HOW you end up with two houses

Be that as it may, I agree that new wire should be used, Especially in the case of aluminum which does not take any prior abuse well.

Old 12-15-03, 12:03 PM
I have seen scrap yards with new wire, in large rolls, yes, for
twice what they paid, but still cheaper.

Old 12-15-03, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You know noxx, I almost typed something to that effect in that post. lol

Old 12-17-03, 07:48 PM
rob1kva
Visiting Guest
Hey brickeyee your'e right, there is no code requirement for using new conductors. But to me it seems more of a waste of time tracking down the right size, location,and condition of the wire than its worth.Not to mention the age of the cable

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: