Flasher for Large Christmas Lights

Old 12-13-03, 09:23 AM
blue_steel
Visiting Guest
Flasher for Large Christmas Lights

While digging through my parent's old outdoor Christmas lights, I found a plug in flasher. The bulbs are the larger, older style ones that get fairly warm and the wires appear to be around 16 or 18 gauge. The flasher didn't have any ratings on it, but I used it to make one entire large outdoor tree flash on and off. I imagine the load was too great because 3 or 4 nights later the contacts fused together and made the lights stay on continuously.
I tried to buy a more robust version, but Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, etc. had nothing.
What should I be looking for and where can I get one?
Thanks.

Old 12-13-03, 09:37 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Try a smaller independent hardware store. I have seen these flashers, so I know they still make them. You might want to put each string of lights on their own flasher if the total load exceeds the ratings of a single flasher.

Old 12-14-03, 01:13 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Or use the flasher to operate a relay or contactor with enough capacity for all the lights if you want them to flash together.

Old 12-15-03, 11:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have bought those over the years,
Most of them are only rated for 100 watts.
I broke one open that went bad,
I was surprised how delicate the parts were,
specifically the contacts were not designed for any sort of lenghty life, especially under a load of anything more than about 300 minilights (6 circuits of 50) or 1 string of the C7 or C9 bulbs (max 25).

These were a gadget of the 80s and early 90s. I recently found two in a drug store that went out of buisiness due to CVS and Walgreens building numerous stores in the area.

gj

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: