Buzzing Breaker

Old 12-13-03, 12:38 PM
dvos56
Visiting Guest
Buzzing Breaker

I was in the process of adding a new branch circuit to my main pannel. While pounding on the knock-out on the side of the pannel to feed the new romex through, one of my breakers started to buzz. It continues to buzz continuously and I suspect the breaker is damaged and needs to be replaced. The breaker is a 60 amp service disconnect that feeds the branch circuits for the house. So it is not as simple of a job as a normal branch circuit breaker would be.

Has anyone experienced this before?

thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-03, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I take it that you flipped it on and off? I wouldnt keep a buzzing breaker in a panel of mine. I cant see why it would be anymore difficult than any other breaker.

Old 12-14-03, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the 60 amp breaker is the house service disconnect then it's not a D-I-Yer job unless your experienced pulling the meter to disconnect power while you change out the breaker. The buzzing sound your hearing is arcing either within the breaker or were it's plugged in to the panel. Either way it needs to be corrected before a fire results

Old 12-14-03, 12:35 PM
dvos56
Visiting Guest
After some additional investigation work, it turns out that a low voltage transformer (for a doorbell) mounted to the side of the service pannel was causing the breaker to buzz. After I disconnecting it, the buzzing sound from the breaker stopped and everything seems fine (what a relief!). I was not a bit comfortable leaving the pannel in that state.

Thanks for the advice everyone.