Adding lights and switches to carport

Old 12-15-03, 09:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding lights and switches to carport

Need some advice, please! What I want to do is add some outlets and lighting to my carport. I plan to install incandescent "courtesy" or "approach" lights on the outside and fluorescent fixtures under the roof. I want to control both with motion detector switches, with override manual switches on one wall of the carport (with the wall switches off, the motion detectors would take over). First question: can the same type motion detector control incandescent AND fluorescent fixtures? Second question: can I add light-sensing switches to the motion-sensing circuitry, so the lights don't come on during the day just because the cat walks in and parks himself on the warm hood of the Oldsmobile? The more I ponder this project, the more it ounds advanced beyond my experience, but the more I want to try and make it happen, too. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Chris

Old 12-16-03, 02:33 PM
Most motion detector switches incorporate daylight sensing. The package labeling will tell you what type of lights the switch will control. If you get freezing temperatures in that part of New Mexico you will need to use cold weather flourescent fixtures.
--
Tom

Old 12-17-03, 07:03 AM
Thanks, Tom!I haven't even started looking for all the parts to get this project done; I just wanted to know whether it was too ambitious for my experience level before I started. Seems like it's do-able, even if a little over my head. I'll be back for more advice as this project unfolds. Thanks again! - Chris

Old 12-17-03, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You mention adding lighting and receptacles. You should also identify what's on the existing circuits now, and check with the building department to determine if you can extend the existing circuits - or need to pull in new circuits. Since it's a carport, you'll probably have to use weatherproof switch and receptacle covers. Have fun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: