Paint Prep: Outlets & Light Switches ?

Old 12-16-03, 10:48 AM
Kriztufer
Visiting Guest
Paint Prep: Outlets & Light Switches ?

I'm preping my house for painting and I want to remove all of the faceplates, outlets, and light switches to make the job easier and neater. I'll also be replacing all of them after the painting is done.

I know I need to shut off the power (obviously)

But once I have and I start taking everything out, what do I do with the wires?

Do I just cap all the wires individually?

Any help would be appreciated

Thx

Old 12-16-03, 11:08 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing the face plates is easy to do. However, removing the outlets is not so easy and you may want to think twice about it.

If you remove the outlets and switches you will have to write down exactly how each location is wired so that when you replace it you get them wired up the same way.

You will need to also make temporary connections at some locations. You will need to wire nut some wires together, while others can be left disconnected. it all depends on what is on the circuit.

I suggest that you leave the outlets and switches and paint around them. Take the plates off, but leave everything else. This way you have outlets available if you need to plug a light in (and you want good lighting to check your paint job), plus you don't have to write down how everthing is wired. If you want, you can put a strip of two inc masking tape over the outlets and switches themselves so you don't paint them.

Old 12-16-03, 11:11 AM
Kriztufer
Visiting Guest
Makes perfect sense racraft

Thanks for the quick reply

Looks like the faceplates are coming off and I'll leave it at that until I'm ready swap out the outlets/switches

Thx again

Old 12-16-03, 02:47 PM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are going to replace them anyway, you don't even need to worry about painting around them... just paint over them. but you'll want to remove the faceplates.

Old 12-16-03, 03:15 PM
R
Although people do it all the time, I don't recommend painting outlets and switches. Paint in an outlet is asking for trouble, even if the outlet is never used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: