Grounding

Old 12-16-03, 08:48 PM
redajax
Visiting Guest
Grounding

I am an electrical beginner. Recently, I wired a new room in my home. I plugged a surge protector into one of the new outlets and the protector is indicating that the outlet is not grounded (normally a yellow light confirms grounding) should I be worried? what do I do to fix this? Please help!

Old 12-17-03, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you wired the room chances are you missed something.
How is the room fed? New circuit all the way back o the panel? If you tapped off another circuit that circuit may not have been grounded.
Go to the first receptacle in the circuit and pull it out. Check the wires for voltage, neutral and ground. If you are missing the ground there you'll need to look back further in the wiring to it's source.
Let us know what you find.

Old 12-17-03, 04:28 AM
R
You do need to correct this situation, if you intend to use your surge protector, or if you intend to use any device that requires a ground, such as a computer.

Old 12-17-03, 10:59 AM
redajax
Visiting Guest
It is a new circuit and I know it includes the ground wire. Does this mean that I need to just find which outlet or switch the ground wire has disconnect from?

Old 12-17-03, 12:50 PM
R
Is it a new circuit all the way back the breaker?

Old 12-17-03, 02:34 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just because it includes a grounding wire doesn't necessarily mean that it is properly grounded. Please tell us more about this circuit, who installed it, when and how. You might also want to invest $8 into an outlet tester at any home center. Perhaps the surge protector light is wrong.

Old 12-17-03, 02:39 PM
redajax
Visiting Guest
I installed a new breaker into the box for this room. I ran the wire up through my basement into the new bedroom. I installed 3 switches and 6 outlets. I connected the ground wire the in the same fashion as the other wire in the box. I thought I had properly connected the ground wire to the green screws and pigtailed correctly. First thing, I will pick up a tester. After that, should I start by removing the outlets/switches to see if the pigtails have come undone? Or should I start in the box?

Old 12-17-03, 02:41 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your plan sounds good. Start anywhere you want. It's best to start where the problem is .

Old 12-17-03, 07:40 PM
redajax
Visiting Guest
Thank you all for your help! The problem was with one of my switches. One of the ground wires had come loose from the pigtail. I reconnected and tested the circuits. Everything is grounded. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: