adding light to existing light and 3 way switch

Old 12-17-03, 12:41 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
adding light to existing light and 3 way switch

I have a inside entrance light with 3 switches: one at the top of the stairway; one at the middle landing; and one at the bottom of the stairs. All control one light at the top middle of the stairway.
I have added a light at the bottom level as it is too dark. What I would like to do is wire it to the switch there (at the bottom) so it works with the other light.
Is this possible? i have tried to connect it to the switch (which has 4 terminals) and tried all combinations to no avail.
the closest I came was when I hooked the white wires to the other whites.........then the black to a terminal that lit up when the switch was on. what happened then was it worked but not with the other switches.
anyone have ideas how i can wire this light up.

Old 12-17-03, 04:48 AM
C
Old 12-17-03, 05:35 AM
R
You can only for certain connect your new light to the existing light. Depending on how the wiring is done you may also be able to connect it to the last of the three switches .

However, you cannot connect it to the first switch or to the middle switch. From your description it sounds like you connected it to the middle switch.

Any light (really any electrical device) requires a hot wire and a neutral. Depending on the wiring, there may not be any neutral at the switches (this is called a switch loop) or there may be a neutral. If there is a neutral then you would have to grab the neutral and the switched hot.

Old 12-17-03, 03:45 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What I would like to do is wire it to the switch there (at the bottom) so it works with the other light. Is this possible?
Usually not. 3-way switch boxes usually don't have what you need. The only sure way is to run a cable from the existing light to the new light.

Old 12-20-03, 12:04 AM
S
I am going to run a new line in from the service box. this will resolve the issue , i will just have a seperate switch.

thanks all!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: