Replacing Existing Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Old 12-17-03, 09:33 AM
robsid
Visiting Guest
Replacing Existing Bathroom Exhaust Fan

I am replacing my old bathroom exhaust fan with a new larger one, but do not have access to that part of the attic from above, thus cannot screw it properly. The old fan was pierced and screwed at the bottom of the unit and not at the side brackets. Will this work with a heavier fan or will it be loose and give way?

Thanks

Old 12-18-03, 06:25 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's a judgement call that you're in a better place to make than we are. Maybe you just want to try it and see.

Old 12-19-03, 07:24 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You don't have much choice unless you want to cut away some sheetrock and replace it (and paint the ceiling, etc.).

A couple of suggestions would be to screw some nailers across between the joists at the edge of your cut-out for the fan housing to use for mounting screws through the bottom of the housing (similar to your existing fan). Nailers could be carefully measured and screwed between the joists so that the housing could be mounted through the top of the can as well. Finally, it may be possible to somehow use a retrofit ceiling fan brace to provide something to screw the housing to. You will have to use your imagination on this one.

Old 12-19-03, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If I have to install a fan from the bottom that is how I do it.
I usually put two screws near the bottom and two near the middle of the housing. I use drywall or #8 bugle head screws. This way they will sort of countersink themselves. Many times the screw heads will get in the way of putting the guts back in the housing if the heads stick out at all. Try to send the screws flush and you should have no problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: