Rotten Rats!!

Old 12-18-03, 10:07 AM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Rotten Rats!!

Hi guys

I was working in my garage last night and noticed my air handler that was running my electric central heater was just buzzing. I went to the back bedroom to check the fuse box and no lights to the back bedrooms. I came back around to the garage and see a rat run away. I start thinking maybe this little **** chewed up a wire. I then check the box again and suspect the main breaker fuses. I reversed the switches and had one bad so now switching power to the back of the house. I come around to the front half to check units for power. The clock on the stove was flashing for a reset so I turn on a burner and the lights that were on before I switched the fuses came back on. The stove acted like a rheostat as I turned on more burners the lights got brighter in the front of the house. The stove burners did not get hot. I turned off the stove then in a minute or so the lights came on all by themselves. So now i have 110 power throughout house. I suspect this is due to the fuse completely crapping out. as there was a 1/4 inch gap when I opened it up and dumped out the sand.

? Can a fuse going bad lead to these symptoms? I put in the new fuse this morning and all tested fine. I put high demand on the system and fuse did not heat up.
I am a bit concerned due to exposed wiring in a 1960 home attic with ROTTEN RATS!

Thanks men

Old 12-18-03, 11:32 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What you were seeing was a classic case of a 220 stove trying to run off of 110. You were putting a very high load onto one side of your 220 volt circut because one side was blown. As to your fuse. Something caused it to heat up. Either a high load or more likely a loose fuse in the holder. Make sure your new fuse is seated good and snug.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: