GFCI Loading

Old 12-18-03, 04:12 PM
jjrick
Visiting Guest
GFCI Loading

O.K., a friend of mine and I have a little argument going and we need someone who really knows to help us answer the following question...

Let's say you run power to a junction box from some other source. From the junction box you run a 3-wire cable to a 2 gang box with a GFCI & a regular receptacle. The black wire is hot and goes to the hot side of the GFCI. The white wire goes to the grounded side of the GFCI. Then you take 2 short wires and connect the adjacent receptacle using the load side of the GFCI. We all know that receptacle is now protected by the GFCI....

Now here is the real question. If you take the red wire and put it to the other hot lug on the regular receptacle and then at the original junction box tie in 2 more 2-wire cables that go down to two other individual recpetacles...are those receptacles GFCI protected?

If anyone has a definate answer to this question I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

Old 12-18-03, 04:20 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I assume you plan to connect those two extra two-wire cables black to red and white to white.

Won't work. The reason is that the extra two receptacles are drawing current through the hot wire of the GFCI without returning the current through the neutral wire. The GFCI will detect this imbalance and trip instantly under any load of any kind on the two other receptacles.

It would be a wacko way to wire it anyway, even if it would work, which it won't.

Old 12-18-03, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had to read it twice to figure out what you were asking but I got it. John is absolutely correct. The whole thing is balance, or more specifically, imbalance.
If you are feeding off the load side of a GFI and taking your neutral off the line side everything is imbalance since there is no load neutral to sense the balance of load.

I think I just confused myself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: