Coincidence that bulbs are going out

Old 12-18-03, 06:23 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Coincidence that bulbs are going out

Hi:

In the last week at least 7 light bulbs have burned out in our house: several rececessed, a couple of flush-mounted ceiling, a lamp or two, and a sconce. Is it possible that it's more than a coincidence? I'm not trying to be funny with this posting, but I just want to make sure that this is not an indication of a serious problem.

Thanks.

Old 12-18-03, 11:15 PM
No real easy answer to this one. It could be coincidence. On the other hand the voltage to your home may be higher than it ought to be or you may be having some power surge problems.

If you have access to a multimeter I would suggest sampling the voltage at different point around the house to confirm that the voltage is around 120V. Trying to track a voltage surge or spike could be harder. If you have not noticed the lights getting brighter or dimmer and the voltage is normal then possibly it is just coincidence.

Old 12-19-03, 06:11 AM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
Are you noticing any lights flicker. Lights getting brighter are a classic symptom of a loose neutral.

Old 12-19-03, 06:27 AM
M
I haven't noticed brighter lights, but I'll watch for this. If it is a loose neutral, could that loose connection be anywhere in the house or just on one circuit?

Old 12-19-03, 03:55 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
The loose neutral in this case would the main neutral from the power transformer though the meter to the main disconnect.

Old 12-21-03, 11:48 AM
M
At a neighborhood Holiday party I brought up this posting, and to my surprise, other were having the same problem. An engineer in the group suspects "dirty" power coming into our houses.

Old 12-22-03, 04:13 PM
rocketir
Visiting Guest
Not dirty, but maybe high. Call your Power company and have them set a meter and they will record a weeks worth of voltage for you to try to identify the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: