lights dimming when appliances switched on

Old 12-19-03, 02:26 PM
tripleb923
Visiting Guest
Question lights dimming when appliances switched on

Greetings all,
I'm living in a house that was built in 1935(bought it last year)the main panel was 125amp Federal Pacific. This past week I upgraded to a 200 amp Murray panel that was installed by a licensed prof electrician,in antcipation of future expansion.Prior to and after this this upgrade any lights that are on would dim and then go back to normal when any large appliance was switched on.In addition to a constant flickering when the washer was placed on a heavy duty wash cycle(ie:refrigerator ,washer/dryer,hairdryer,vacum) I've run dedicated 20 amp lines for the refrig and washer/dryer and the problem still exists. I've been reading about loose neutral as a possible cause but with this upgrade all of the connections @ the panel and service @ the mast pole are good. Being that it is an old house and a lot of the circuits are seemingly shared and the wiring on every thing (except the kitchen..also upgraded prior to purchase)is that older cotton jacketed type....could that be the cause??
I'm eventually going to rewire the whole house but until then is there any solution for this frustrating and annoying situation?????

Old 12-20-03, 09:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A small amount of dimming is expected but If you have already put the major loads on a dedicated circuit and the connections are good in the panel. The next possibility could be the power co's transformer may be too small for the load it carries. Also i have found that sometimes moving the large loads to the top of the panel can sometimes reduce the ammount of dimming.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: