Lights dimming

Old 12-21-03, 03:45 AM
jeffalan66
Visiting Guest
Lights dimming

I read below of the thread where someone wrote about lights dimming.
I to have this problem. I notice it when I have lights on and a floor fan running. All of a sudden the fan will slow down and the recessed lights will get a little dim.

This all takes place in the basement where it was finished by the previous owners.

What on earth could be causing this?
It doesnt do it all the time.
Thanks in advance for any info you could think of that will help.

Old 12-21-03, 08:16 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Dimming lights is sometimes serious and sometimes not, but if this has gotten so bad that you notice the fan slowing down, it could be serious. It would be helpful to do a bit of investigation on two issues:[list=1][*]Try to determine a pattern of when the dimming occurs. Often it is associated with something else coming on, such as a refrigerator or freezer kicking in, an air conditioner, a clothes iron, a pump, a water heater, etc. Such information is important to tracking down the problem.[*]If you can do the former, then the next thing is to determine if the appliance that causes it is on the same circuit as the lights that notice it.[/list=1]If you don't want to do this investigation, or you have no success at it, I would encourage you to call someone to check it out. You might start with your power company (they can monitor the voltage supply to the home), but some power companies insist that you have it checked out by an electrician first.

You might also check city records to see if a permit was pulled for the basement finish, and if proper inspections were done. If not, you may have recourse against the seller in recouping any costs associated with the repairs.

Old 12-22-03, 12:03 AM
jeffalan66
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I will try the first one first of all. Its a condo and its only 3 years old but the builders, from what I know now, have a bad reputation for hiring shadey contractors. Who knows how they wired the place. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: