wiring

Old 12-21-03, 10:23 AM
pat rozar
Visiting Guest
Question wiring

my son tried to help me and replace a bad switch at my dishwasher/disposal. It is on a dedicated circuit breaker by itself. Anyway he unwired the switch plate and attempted to rewire it. He did not look to see where the wires would go back and now he does not have the dishwasher wired in and we dont know what to do. I have 3 white wires capped off and three black wires hooked up to the switch. My disposal works but the dishwasher is obviusly not wired in. Can you help??? There was a "pig tail" before but he took it off. I really want to have my dishwasher for the holidays, I am desperate, but too broke to pay in lower alabama

Old 12-21-03, 11:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Rest easy. This will be simple to figure out once we have a few more details. I'm sure you and your son have learned some valuable lessons from this experience.

You say you have three black wires connected to the switch. How? If this is a simple switch, there are only two screws on it (not counting the green grounding screw). So exactly what connects to what?

The answer will be to use that pigtail to connect two of the black wires to one screw of the switch, and the third to the other screw (again, not counting the green grounding screw -- nothing but a bare or green wire should ever be connected to a green screw). Which two of the black wires go together can be determined by testing, but it might be easier to just use trial and error (there are only three choices).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: