Changing a shower light

Old 12-22-03, 11:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Changing a shower light

Hi:

A previous owner had put a recessed light in the ceiling of a second-floor shower. The idea was good, execution bad. Due to the pitch of the roof, the distance between the recessed can and the roof is about 2 inches. With winter upon us, heat from the light and shower melt snow on the roof, causing ice dams. Is it feasible to replace the recessed light with a surface-mounted fixture? My idea is to remove the can, replace missing tile with new tile, but leave enough space for a standard outdoor-rated work box. I would attach the work box to a ceiling joist, as I would for a bedroom light fixture. I would then attach the surface-mounted fixture to the work box and insulate the attic.

Any suggestions on this idea? Thanks!

Old 12-22-03, 03:51 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, it's probably feasible to replace the fixture with a surface mount (if the existing cable will reach). Or if you want to keep the recessed fixture, make sure it is an air-tight and IC fixture, and/or consider a cooler burning compact fluorescent fixture, and/or a shallower fixture that allows more room for insulation above it.

Old 12-23-03, 08:15 AM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A cheaper/easier solution that you could look into would be insulating the 2" between the roof and the Can. Keeping that heat from reaching your roof would keep the snow from melting.

I would probably try something cheap like a 2'x2' (or any size, as large as can easily fit in the space above the light) piece of plywood with aluminum tin on the bottom side right above the light can.

The Aluminum is a good conductor/radiator of the heat, it would spread it out so it would cool quickly, hopefully enough to keep the heat from reaching the roof. Maybe leave an air gap between the new "wood shield" and the roof so air can pass behind it too.

Just one of my crazy ideas. a cooler flourescent bulb in the wintertime is a good suggestion too.

Old 12-23-03, 02:40 PM
Yes, it's probably feasible to replace the fixture with a surface mount
Feasable but probably not practical(It has to be waterproof) I have seen waterproof fixtures for commercial applications but none for residential (though I never looked either)If you found one or used the commercial type it would be really expensive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: