Celing fan light switch

Old 12-23-03, 10:28 AM
lemaloy
Visiting Guest
Angry Celing fan light switch

Hi, can you help me with this problem? I am trying to replace my light switch in my ceiling fan. However, one of the 2 black wires has come loose, so I don't know where to attach its replacement. What can I do.

Old 12-23-03, 10:49 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please provide more information.

Where is this switch? what wires go into the switch? What other wires are located in the same junction box?

Old 12-23-03, 12:56 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A ceiling fan pull chain switch is a simple 2-wire switch. The two wires that the switch hooks to are a "hot wire" going up to the canopy of the fan where it is connected to a "hot" or "switched" wire depending upon your installation and a wire going to the light socket. The switch simply makes or breaks the power from the top of the fan to the light socket. It doesn't matter which switch lead goes to which of the two wires in the fan wiring compartment - hence, they are both black.

Old 12-23-03, 02:18 PM
lemaloy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your replies, however, I obviously didn't explain myself clearly. I will try to answer your questions. To answer racraft, the switck is a pull chain type mounted in the light fixture that is part of the celing fan. it is not to be wired into a junction box, but into the celing fan above it. There are green, black, red & white wires accessable above the light socket to attach the wires to. To answer mcjuk, yes, that is true. The instructions that came with my light switch said to "Follow the same color coding as the original switch. remove one wire at a time from the old switch and attach it to the new switch." However, when I got the cover removed from the light, I found that one of the wires on the old switch was not connected to another wire. One of the two black wires was attached to a black wire with a label that said "For lamp use only". The second black wire going to the pull chain light switch was unattached. I need to know where to attach this second black to allow the light to function. As an update, I went to Lowe's and asked one of their people. I was told that Black is Power, White is ground. Since, the old switch was attached to a black wire, I thought attaching one of the new switches black wires to the black wire indicated and the other black wire to a white wire, would allow the light to function. I was wrong. I think I blew the switch. The light socket itself has only 1 white wire running up into the fan above. So I still need to know where to attach the second black wire to allow the light to function. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: