Chandelier Wiring

Old 12-23-03, 07:01 PM
JMGUILD
Visiting Guest
Question Chandelier Wiring

I HAVE A EURPEAN CHANDELIER WITH 2 WIRES COMING OUT OF EACH STEM ON THE CHANDELIER THAT ARE TO ATTACH TO THE WIRES GOING TO MY HOUSE. THE 2 WIRES ARE BLUE AND BROWN. HOW DO I CONNECT THESE WIRES TO THE BLUE, BROWN, BLACK, AND YELLOW GREEN. THE YELLOW GREEN IS GROUND, BLACK IS POWER, - WHAT ARE THE BLUE AND THE BROWN AND HOW DO I WIRE THEM INTO A THREE WIRE US HOUSE?

JMG

Old 12-23-03, 07:18 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I really hate to see European fixtures installed in North America. There are just so many problems. If you use European bulbs, they will be very dim. If you use American bulbs, the wires may overheat.

The colors of conductors in North America have traditionally been black for line, white for neutral, and green for earth (ground). The European conductor color coding is brown for line, light blue for neutral, and a combination of green and yellow for ground.

Old 12-23-03, 07:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Any chance that you can re-wire the chandelier? That would fix the overheating problem and get the color coding right.

Old 12-24-03, 04:09 AM
JMGUILD
Visiting Guest
chandelier

Originally posted by John Nelson
I really hate to see European fixtures installed in North America. There are just so many problems. If you use European bulbs, they will be very dim. If you use American bulbs, the wires may overheat.

The colors of conductors in North America have traditionally been black for line, white for neutral, and green for earth (ground). The European conductor color coding is brown for line, light blue for neutral, and a combination of green and yellow for ground.
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE. I RE-LOOKED AT THE WIRES, IT IS THE BOTTOM OF THE CHANDELIER WHERE THE 2 FROM THE INDIVIDUAL LIGHTS MEET TO BECOME A COMMON CONNECTION THAT I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY FIGURING OUT. I HAVE DONE IT BE FORE IN THE US BUT CANT SEEM TO FIND THAT MEMORY. I THINK I CAN JUST NOT USE ALL THE WIRES THAT ARE IN THERE, ie USE THE BLUS AS NEUTRAL, BROWN AS LINE AND Y/G AS GROUND, AND NOT USE THE BLACK AT ALL.

THANKS AGAIN, I GOTTA GET TO WORK AND WILL FINISH THIS PROJECT TONIGHT. JAY

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: