ceiling fan wiring

Old 12-25-03, 05:18 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan wiring

I recently had a ceiling fan installed and have discovered that the electrician used the same circuit as the one the furnace is on. I'm worried that if I get a short in the fan, the furnace will go out. Is what my electrician did a standard practice, or should I ask him to rewire it to a a dedicated circuit (I think I have unused ones in my box)?
Thank you!

Old 12-25-03, 07:07 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ceiling fans draw very little juice and - unless the electrician botched the installation - you'll be just fine.

Old 12-25-03, 07:07 AM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Good morning and Merry Christmas Moily. I don't know about the code in the USA but here in Ontario, it is against code to have anything tapped onto the furnace circuit. It must be a dedicated circuit for the furnace only. I would have the man that installed the fan return and run a separate circuit from the panel or tap into a different circuit for the fan.
Have a good day and let us know what happens.

Old 12-25-03, 08:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did he install this fan in a new location? And he used the furnace circuit to power it?

Code or no code, he should change it. The furnace should be on it's own circuit.

Old 12-26-03, 06:23 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Oops, I may have blown it here.

If your codes forbid using the furnace circuit, this will need to be re-done. However, I would check it out before I went to the extra expense. Another possibility would be to tap into another circuit if possible.

Old 12-26-03, 06:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dave, basically you are correct, as long as it's not the furnace circuit.
Besides, there should be no extra expense. This guy should re-do it for free becasue it shouldn't have been that way to begin with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: