Totally new service...

Old 12-26-03, 01:34 AM
mburman
Visiting Guest
Question Totally new service...

Hi all...

I've got an apartment building with 3 apartments in it. There are only two electrical meters on the building (one apartment "pays" for the electrical for the other apartment). I want to separate these two apartments by installing a separate meter/service for the other apartment. I realize that I will have to install a breaker box and all the associated wiring for that. Does the electric company install the meter and its box and connect to my breaker box? If not, what do I need to buy/install to do this?

Thanks!

Michael

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-03, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You'll need to hire an electrician to do this. A new meter box (with 3 sockets) will proably need to be installed, along with probably new wiring from the utility drop to the meter box. You may need to do a load calculation (should anyway), and you may need a 300A service now (100A for each apartment X3). You'll definetely need a permit. Now would be a good time to replace the wiring between the meter box and the 3 panels if it's relatively old.
They city may also make you upgrade the panels to meet current code (at least 100A, etc).

Old 12-26-03, 07:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depending on your local codes you will need 4 (four) panel. In my area you need a house panel which pays for the well and any outside/emergency/yard/common hallway lighting as well as any shared or landlord loads.

If you are OK with just the 3 panels a 200 amp service should be fine with a triple 100 amp meter pack.
It's not usually an easy job separating the wiring from the shared apartments. I'm sure there will be many circuits and outlets run between the units. I've done several like this and unless it was specifically wired to separate it's not nearly as easy as moving wires to different panels.

Lastly, this is NO DIY project! This is something left for a professional with insurance and a license!
We're talking about the lives of three families and your conscience!