Couple Questions:

Old 12-26-03, 06:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Couple Questions:

Couple of question to the most helpful forum on the web !!!!

I'm thinking of going with Farenheat Hydronic Electric Heaters
with the following specs: 8.3 amps, 2000 watts, 240 volts.

I would like to power 3 of these heaters on the same circuit. What should my breaker / wire ga configuration be.

Also I'm runing a line to power my central vac 12 amp / 120 volt unit I think 3/4 HP. I'm looking at running a 20 amp line with 12ga. Reading the famous wiring simplified it seems that motors should have their own dedecated circuit.

I also have a treadmill that needs 12 amps / 120 volts, so that would seem to suggest another line.

Do manufactures put running AMP requirements on the spec plates or maximum AMPS needed say at start up ?

My box is tight, 200 AMP / 40 blanks but I have a heavy electric use house, well pump, double wall ovens, cook top, central air, water heater, dryer, thats 12 blanks before the dedicated lines like the furnance and lines to the kitchen. I would liike to avoid a sub-panel situation because thats where this DYI would have to call in an electrician. I also don't like the piggy back breakers.

In any case would it be bad form to put the central vac and treadmill on the same line. Its highly doubtful that both units would ever be used at the same time.

2 Banks - heat - I would put this on the same side as the ac compressor to balance the load.

1 or 2 banks Central Vac /Treadmill

1 Bank general use 15 amp - wall outlets in main room (9)

1 Bank - general use 15 amp - Hi-Hats in main room and 4/5 outlets in secondary room

1 Bank 15 amp - Fridge/Freezer - does this need to be dedicated

The secondary room already has lighting from two different cicuits.

Thanks for all you help in advance

Erik,

Old 12-27-03, 10:18 AM
P
I suggest a sub-panel (S-P). It's much easier (and less hazardous) for a DIY'er to connect one cable in a "live" panel then several cables.

With a S-P you'll have more flexibilty on "Both ends", which means you'll still have "spares" left in the service-panel, and if you find you need another circuit for the new project it's available at the S-P. It's less copper wire with a Feeder-cable and probaly less work to run a single feeder-cable to a S-P at a "central" location then several Branch-Circuit cables.

If you install a 60-amp Feeder cable the power-rating of the Feeder in watts is 60 amps. X 220 volts.

I would avoid connecting the heaters on a single Branch-Circuit which would require #10 wire. You would be connecting a 30-amp wire to a 8 amp load. Better to use two 20-amp Branch-Circuits. If this is a single-thermostat heating-control hook-up, Honeywell has a contactor that will switch two seperate 20-amp 220-volt circuits using a 24-volt thermostat circuit.

Good Luck and Enjoy the Experience!!!!

Old 12-27-03, 02:15 PM
The sub panel idea has gone through my mind. As my house is well laid out and for future projects in mind it would work to install the sub next to the main. The house is also not that big 2300 sqf with outh the basement

If I went with a sub and ran my lines to it, do you think an electrician would be comfortable with "energizing" it from the main being he did not do the rest of the work.

I'm okay with adding lines to the main, I throw the main and take my time with the additional wires.

As for the heaters If I did use (2) 20amp branch circuits to get my 220 I think I could only wire 2 Heaters is that correct ?

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: