newbie electrical question

Old 12-26-03, 11:32 PM
ivebeenbad
Visiting Guest
newbie electrical question

In my bedroom I currently have a cieling fan with lights. I would like to install either 2, 4, or 6 recessed lights and a new fan w/o lights. Currently I have one switch for the cieling fan.

How would I go about installing these lights? Can I connect 2 switches to one electric line? Then just wire each one individually?

Old 12-27-03, 09:07 AM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
You will need to run a new wire from the new switch to the new lights. How and where you run the wire depends on where the power is now. If it is at the switch then you can start from there. If it is in the fan then you start from there.

Old 12-27-03, 04:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My $.02. Remember if you install can lights too close to a fan it looks alot like a strobe light.

Old 12-27-03, 07:20 PM
ivebeenbad
Visiting Guest
how would both switches have power though?

Old 12-27-03, 09:16 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
If the power enters into the switch box, then you would just remove the hot wire from the switch and wire nut it along with two 6-inch sections of the same gauge wire and connect one of these leads to each switch. Of course this will require a larger box and/or a combination switch.

And you also need to take into consideration box fill requirements so you are not overcrowding your box. Also, you need to make sure this circuit will support your proposed additions.

Like the joed said, you will need to determine where the power enters so you know where you'll be starting.

If the switch box has two separate cables entering it, with blacks connected to the switch and whites tied together, your power comes into the switch first. If you only see one cable coming into the box, then you've got a switch loop and your incoming power enters into the fan box. In this case you will not be able to take power from your switch box, it will have to come from the fan box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: