Wiring a new Flood Light(Security Light)

Old 12-27-03, 10:44 PM
satexasuser
Visiting Guest
Cool Wiring a new Flood Light(Security Light)

I'm going to add a new floodlight (Security Light) to the outside of my house. I'm going to place it right above the patio area below the roof eave. In the patio I have a ceiling fan which is turned off and on by switches in the house. I would like to run new wiring from the ceiling fan to the new Floodlight for ease of wiring. Can anyone give me any advice on this?

Thanks

Tex

Old 12-28-03, 10:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you wire the security light to the fan it will only work when the fan is on. Unless the power for the fan goes to the fan before the switch. You will need to tell us how many wires are in the fan box and the color too. How many wires in the switch box and colorthere as well.

Old 12-28-03, 05:05 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Before you consider using the fan (if you can), you should see what else is on the same circuit. Adding a security light may or may not (depending on the light wattage) add an unacceptable load to the circuit.

Often it is easier to run a new circuit for a new light than to use an existing circuit.

Old 12-29-03, 04:55 AM
J
Received 521 Upvotes on 426 Posts
You could wire it to the fan use the fan pull to turn off the fan. In that case the light will need to be on if you want to run the fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: