What gauge wire do I need

Old 12-28-03, 08:34 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 52
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What gauge wire do I need

I have a small workshop in the back yard and would like to run power from the meter on my house. The meter is around 40 to 50 feet from the shop and I will be running it underground in conduit. I will need enough power to run a 50 AMP welder, lights, and other power tools. What gauge wires will I need to make this run. I am not an electrician but I have a lot of experience with electricity and know how not to electrocute myself.
Old 12-28-03, 09:13 AM
Speedy Petey's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,262
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What size service does your house have?
If it's 200 amp and you don't have a huge load on the house I would run a 100 amp sub panel. You would need three- #4cu (or #2al) wire run out there. Run it in conduit, 1.25" or 1.5" PVC. You will need to sink a ground rod at the shop with #8cu from it to the sub panel and you do bond the grounds to the panel as opposed to keeping the grounds and neutrals separate.

You will NOT be running from the meter! You need to run this from the main panel in the house.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: