wiring a 240V outlet for a kiln

Old 12-28-03, 11:26 AM
kolson
Visiting Guest
wiring a 240V outlet for a kiln

I am trying to install an outlet for my ceramic kiln. I currently have 3 wire plus ground ( b, r, w, g) coming from the panel. I need to install an 2 wire plus ground outlet.
My question:
Should I put the white wire in the ground slot on the outlet? If not, should I eliminate the white wire altogether, including in the panel.
Thanks for the help.
Kris

Old 12-29-03, 07:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: kolson. Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself web site.

Since your question pertains to the electrical wiring and not specifically to the kiln, I moved your question here, into the electrical forum topic.

The Do-It-Yourself professional electricans can help you. Be sure to use extreme caution working with electricity at all times.

Regards & Good Luck
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor
Sharp Advice

Old 12-29-03, 07:11 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well,lets see. Is the wire rated for the amperage of your new kiln?
If it is, then you would do away with the neutral/white wire. Use the red and black for the 220 and the bare wire for ground. It the white isn't going to be a problem, I would just put a wire nut on it and leave it disconnected in the recepticle box and disconnect it at the panel and wire nut it there as well for any possible change in the future. Just make certain the wire and breaker are rated for the load of the kiln.

Old 12-29-03, 09:14 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
weebee's advice is right on the money. You should know that unlike most 120-volt outlets, 240-volt outlets are not general purpose. They are usually designed and installed for just one particular appliance. If this circuit wasn't installed with the kiln in mind, it may not be suitable. That's why weebee stressed the importance of making sure the wire and breaker sizes are appropriate. The breaker should be neither too large nor too small. The wire may be too large, but may not be too small.

Old 12-31-03, 07:51 AM
kolson
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up wiring for kiln

I had two kilns, but the outlets became mixed up in a move. The outlets were just a little different. The breaker is a 50 amp and the wire is either #8 or 6. I fired it up yesterday with no problems. All works just fine. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: