3 way switch OOPS

Old 12-28-03, 01:16 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 way switch OOPS

i have a 4 inch box at the doorway between my laundry room and garage, which had a 3-way switch and grounded outlet.

i wanted to replace the outlet with a gfi, add a second 4 inch box and put a protected outlet and the light switch there.

i wasnt paying attention to the wiring from the outlet to the light switch when i disassembled, got distracted, and now can't figure out the correct connections. evidently, power to the light is from this box. the "other" 3 way switch actually isnt - it is at the overhead door, and must have been used before automatic openers had a 4 minute timer. that switch box is now blanked over, and the red and black wires are tied together, with the white unconnected.
i dont need 3-way wiring, i just want on-off for the lamp at the power feed. what should be connected to the three wires from the power-source towards the lamp and other "switch"?

it seems that tying white to white and power to either red or black should do it.. and if one is incorrect, then the other should be correct. did i miss anything?
htanks

Old 12-28-03, 07:39 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Please give us a complete inventory of all the cables and wires in the box.

Old 01-05-04, 07:53 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
well, it wasnt rocket science to figure out, all i needed to do was walk away for a half hour, and all is now OK.
the box has a red/black/white cable for the three-way switch, and a white/black for the power feed to the outlet.

thanks for the reply and happy new year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: