Question about ceiling fan/dimmer switch

Old 12-28-03, 01:09 PM
LKD22
Visiting Guest
Question about ceiling fan/dimmer switch

I have installed a new celing fan that runs from a toggle switch. I would like to be able to dim the light using a dimmer switch. Since I only have a toggle switch how would I use a dimmer for the light? Would I have to install a new larger box to accomadate the dimmer switch? If so how would I connect the wiring in the box? When I first moved in, the old ceiling fan had a dimmer switch that worked the light and fan but it hummed. I removed the dimmer switch and just replaced it with a toggle switch. I figured the humming wasn't because the fan was happy.

Old 12-28-03, 04:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A fan must be connected to a motor speed control (fancy for fan motor dimmer) a light is connected to a standard dimmer. if the fan and light are on the same toggle switch they must be wired seperately to accomplish what you want to do.

if you need more info post back

Old 12-28-03, 05:01 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In order to use a dimmer switch for the light you will need to install a new switch, so that you have two switches, as you have surmised.

There are several ways to accomplish this. You may need to run additional wiring, as it does not sound like there is appropriate wiring for what you want.

What wires are present in the switch box? If there are only two wires present then you do not have enough wires.

If you have to run new wiring, you may have two choices, depending on the existing wiring, or you may only have one choice.

Old 12-28-03, 06:06 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
An after-market remote control kit costs $30-$40 and works with any brand of fan. It provides remote control of motor speeds and dimming of the light. I prefer the Hunter All-Fan since it retains the ability of the wall switch to control the light. Many other remotes render the wall switch useless.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: