Question about building codes

Old 12-28-03, 03:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question about building codes

Hi. I live in Canada and I am having some problems finding any information on Canadian Building codes, so I was wondering if someone could assist me or point my in the correct direction. I have called the city and found out about a building permit, but they weren't that helpful with specific questions. I purchased a home and I am in moving in in a few weeks. The house is 2yrs old, and I want to start finishing the basement. It is dry, with nothing tricky. From what I saw on my initial visit, there are only 3 bays open on the circuit box to work with, so I'll have to run a pony box, which I know little about. Any help there would be appreciated. As well, the bathroom drains for the toilet and sink are roughed there any regulation tor have an exhaust fan, or a window? As well, do I require a bay window for another exit? I am not planning to have a bedroom...will be a work shop and a living room...with the bathroom and furnace room being the other rooms. Lastly, I am planning to use steel framing instead of lumber. I was told by a friend that I need to use shielded electrical cable with steel, although I haven't found any information that says this is the case. Any information you have to help me would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-28-03, 06:04 PM
Doug Aleshire's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 4,455
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'll copy your post to electrical and plumbing for you. Those questions that you asked can be answered there.

The issue of egress here in the US is usually a window is mandatory if this is considered habitable space, i.e bedroom specificially.

I would think that this link may be helpful as a good guideline,

You can also look at these as in time Canada will incorporate the IRC which is quite good. Again what you may see here may or may not apply. I would hope that you can acquire some good information from a local cntractor there.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-29-03, 06:01 AM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 8,028
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
With regards to the steel studs. You have 2 choices. You can use armoured cable or you can use plastic grommets to protect regular NMD cable as it passes though the holes in the studs.

For our USA freinds NMD is 'non metalic dry' equivalent to NM-B. For wet locations we have NMW - 'non metalic wet'.
Old 12-29-03, 09:11 AM
TomZ1's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 155
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the Life Safety Code (NFPA 101) is in effect in your area...yes you'll need a secondary means of escape from all living areas...not just bedrooms.

Living areas includes a workshop and a living room.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: