Electrical Outlet rating question

Old 12-29-03, 12:53 PM
rocketir
Visiting Guest
Electrical Outlet rating question

Just bought an older house. Around 35 yrs old. 100 amps service panel with 20 amp breakers with 12/3, 12/2 Cu wire. When I would plug stuff into my outlets alot of the times the plug would fall out. I figured that the outlets were old and worn. So I replaced all the outlets in the house with new ones. Took a good look at one today and noticed that I had replaced them all with 15 amp outlets. Now the breakers are still 20 amp breakers. Am I going to run into a problem later on? Not sure about the rating of the original outlets as I have tossed them all. But physically they look the same. They did not have the extra prong on them.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-03, 01:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's fine. Code allows 15-amp switches and receptacles on a 20-amp circuit.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with you, but it is not legal to install receptacles with a grounding hole if the receptacle is neither grounded nor GFCI protected. This may not be an issue since you seemed to imply that you had a grounding source at each box.

Old 12-29-03, 02:02 PM
rocketir
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response. Yes I did ground each recepticle. What I was trying to say was that the old ones didn't have one plug turned horizontal.

Old 12-29-03, 03:59 PM
Not sure on this John, but should'nt the outlets be pig-tailed ?
Since the circuit and wire is 20amp, your relying on the bar from a 15 amp recepticale to carry through your current ? What happens when you pull more than 15, but less than 20 from the outlets.

Old 12-29-03, 04:02 PM
J
All 15-amp receptacles that are UL approved are designed and tested for 20-amp pass-through current.