lights pulse

Old 12-30-03, 10:21 AM
hunterw
Visiting Guest
Unhappy lights pulse

The lights in my house pulse when the washing machine motor runs. I replaced the 30 year old split bus panel with a new 200 amp main breaker panel, rewired the washer in #12 copper (its a 10 foot run). Rewired the water heater from #10 aluminum to #10 copper. The house has done this for the last 4 years, each change has shown some improvement, but the lights still pulse. The pulsing is most obvious on the lights on dimmers.

Any ideas on trouble shooting this now?

Old 12-30-03, 11:05 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, make sure the lights you have dimmers on are quality name-brand bulbs. Something like GE or Sylvania or Philips.

The most likely cause of your trouble is a loose neutral. Assuming that the washing machine is now on a circuit by itself, it seems that the loose connection is likely in the panel itself, or in the power company's equipment.

Because the power company will check their equipment at no cost to you, I suggest you start by calling them. When you tell them everything you've done so far to address this problem, they will probably be so impressed that the will come out right away. We have had many, many posters here whose flickering problems have been resolved with one simple call to the power company.

Old 12-31-03, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem, it is most obvious on the circuits connected to the same leg as the washer.
It is a problem that recent vintage (past 5 years) Whirlpool/Kenmore models cause. Whirlpool manufactured Kenmore laundry appliances, for the past 20+ years.

Bottom line: The transmission design causes a unsteady speed in the motor load, the amount of inductance and current draw causes the pulse. The theoretical solution of capacitors is not doable because of the constantly changing (pulsing) motor action.

gj
I have the $800 Whirlpool Gold electronic control model, best washer I have come accross for convenience and features, but the pulsing is annoying.

Old 12-31-03, 11:39 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Interesting post green jacket. Thanks.

Old 01-02-04, 03:33 PM
hunterw
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Green Jacket,

After I read your post, I checked out our washer, I knew it was a Whirlpool and it is the Gold but with standard controls. How did you find out about the transmission? I wonder if upping the cable size would help at all.

John,

After the holidays I still plan to have the power company check out the service. Its been here since 1968...

Old 01-23-04, 07:51 PM
hunterw
Visiting Guest
Smile

The light flashing became unbearable, we called the power company. It turns out that the neutral was loose, they tightened all of the connections in the meter base and that fixed the problem.

The repairman pointed out the rusted lugs and told me that was a sign of over heating. I'm surprised the previous repairman did not replace them or at least tighten them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: