Changing Main Circuit Breaker box

Old 12-30-03, 12:11 PM
Orion
Visiting Guest
Question Changing Main Circuit Breaker box

I am planning on changing the main circuit breaker box coming into the house. What plans, considerations and steps do i need to take before doing this? I'm a novice and this is something i don't plan on doing myself, but i would like to know what needs to happen before hand.
Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-30-03, 01:05 PM
HVACELECT
Visiting Guest
WELL SINCE YOU are planning on hiring somebody to do this they should take care of everything changingout a panel is something that has to be cordinated with thelocalutility and building department a good license electrican will get the permits buy thematerial and schedulethe time for the power to be temporialy shut off and restored.if you are cahnging the panel are you planning on having the whole house rewired because now is the time to have it done

Old 12-30-03, 01:29 PM
Orion
Visiting Guest
Changing the wiring

That is one thing i hadn't considered. I'm working on a limited budget. Can you give me a ball park figure as to how much changing the box out will cost and/or the rewiring of the house?
Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-30-03, 02:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Having a new service installed has no bearing on re-wiring a house. The only thing in common is that the home runs have to be pulled out of the panel and put back in. This has NO effect on the rest of the wiring in the house.
Re-wiring a house is no small undertaking and I think people use the term "re-wiring" a little too loosely.

If you are having an electrician replace your service (the only correct way to replace a service) the only things you need to worry about are how long the power will be down, usually no more than 2-3 hours and does he take a check or just cash.
The homeowner shouldn't need to worry about permits, inspections, etc.

Old 12-30-03, 03:03 PM
Orion
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I need to find a reputable electrician and take it from there then. Thanks for the help and the information.

Old 12-30-03, 06:31 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I might suggest that while you have the electrician at the house, have him or her take a look around and see what he thinks about the wiring in general. He or she will be able to tell quite a bit from the wires at the panel, but a good inspection will involve walking around to each room and seeing where the other end of the panel wires go.

The electrician can identify problems that should be fixed very quickly, and other things that should be fixed but not necessarily right away, and then identify things that might become a problem down the road.

Even if this inspection costs you a few extra dollars it will be worth it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: