Light Fixture overheating

Old 12-31-03, 07:11 AM
newbie76
Visiting Guest
Light Fixture overheating

I just replaced a bulb in a light fixture, now the bulb constantly changes brightness and the 3 way switch gets very hot quickly. Any thoughts?? Thanks

Old 12-31-03, 07:39 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does this only happen in the one room or are there other lamps overly bright or overly dim or just flickering? The first thing is to check and see if this is occurring elsewhere if it is get in touch with your supply company and have them check the connections coming into the house. If it is happening only on the one circuit then it would be a good idea to start checking your wiring connections throughout the circuit. You might also want to check the swithes involved although it is not common it can happen.

Old 12-31-03, 07:59 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It the new bulb a higher wattage than the old one?

Old 12-31-03, 08:15 AM
newbie76
Visiting Guest
The bulb is the same wattage, then I tried a lower watt bulb and I had the same problem. the base became loose when I removed the old bulb, is it possible that I pinched wires when I tightened it back in place?

Old 12-31-03, 08:22 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may have faulty connections do to the "loose" base the best plan is to either fix the base or replace it. Electricity does not like loose anything and can cause many overheating problems

Old 12-31-03, 02:13 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
I'm concerned about the switch getting hot. If it is a switch and not a dimmer then check the wires. Could be a loose and arcing connection on the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: