dimmer switches

Old 12-31-03, 12:21 PM
Dan C
Visiting Guest
dimmer switches

Is there such a thing as a three-way dimmer switch? I have an area where halogen track lighting is controlled by two three-way switches. I would like to be able to control the intensity of the light in the area with dimmer switches. Would I have to replace both switches or only one? Replies appreciated. Dan C.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-03, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
1- Yes, three way dimmers are available. 2- You may replace one with a dimmer only (I think). If you put dimmers on both ends, you will not be able to properly control the light level at both ends.

Old 12-31-03, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Andrew is correct. They are available in every style & color as SP dimmers. The same principals involved with wiring a 3-way switch apply to a 3-way dimmer. You must make sure your "point" wire is connected to the right terminal for proper operation. And yes, the dimmer is only utilized in one location. You can put the dimmer at either location.

Old 12-31-03, 07:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK. You say halogen. What type? Low voltage? Magnetic or electronic transformers? What wattage? How many?
Halogen is a vague word in our world.
If they are low voltage you may need a special dimmer. Most electronic low voltage need a specific dimmer. Most magnetic low voltage can use a standard incandescent dimmer.

Today there are many electronic dimmers (as opposed to mechanical rheostat) where you can dim from both locations if you desire. They used to be very expensive but nowadays many companies are making them and even some good ones are not that costly.
Lutron and Lightolier are good choices with Lutron being the more readily available ones.