REPLACE OLD LIGHT (how to wire)

Old 01-01-04, 11:04 AM
NoShockDummy
Visiting Guest
REPLACE OLD LIGHT (how to wire)

I am replacing a overhead light which has original 1920's wiring. From the ceiling, I have two wires twisted together with a cloth-like wrapping and a black wire with a plastic/rubber coating.

My new fixture has two whites, two blacks and a ground. Plus a warning that I need wires suitable to 90 degrees.

Short of hiring someone to rewire, any advice on installation?

Thanks!

Old 01-01-04, 11:08 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do not under any circumstances connect this light to your existing wiring. Your existing wiring cannot handle the heat that this light fixture will generate, and you will create a real fire hazard.

What you must do is to replace the wiring to this fixture, at least for some distance, with new wiring that can handle the heat. Or you can find a light fixture that only requires 60 degree wiring.\\Again, do not under any circumstances wire this light fixture directly using your existing wiring.

Old 01-01-04, 01:30 PM
W
Thats not exactly true. As long as the insulation is in good shape, you'll be fine. The old cloth/rubber clad wire is capable of the heat.
The only problem is that often once you disturb this old wire, it tends to break up some. Use care and you'll be ok.

Old 01-01-04, 01:35 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The manufacturer is informing you that the risk of installing this fixture is unacceptable. I would agree.

Old 01-01-04, 01:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I lean towards agreeing with Weebee. All new pan type fixtures have a good amount of insulation above the pan. This insulates the ceiling and wiring from most of the heat.
The problem with old fixtures was high wattage lamps in an enclosed fixture right up against the ceiling with no insulation.
New fixtures have lower wattage limits and have sufficient insulation which makes them light years safer than any old fixture.
The real problem has been mentioned. The wiring insulation being all dry and crumbled from the heat since the 20's.
I cannot flat out say install the fixture but.....

Y'know why that 90* warning is there? LAWYERS!

Old 01-01-04, 09:59 PM
MY $.02

The NEC states to be code compliant you must follow the manufacturers reccomendations/instructions.

Replace the wire or the fixture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: