Power to the house

Old 01-01-04, 01:31 PM
klarson8
Visiting Guest
Power to the house

I have 2 breaker boxes running from my meter base. Each box is rated for 200amps. Is the wire running from the transformer to the meterbase large enough to handle this (400 amps)? I know the 2nd box was put in by an electrician and the electric company was out to remove and then replace the meter, but it was done without a permit. Boxes are wired in parallel.

Old 01-01-04, 01:37 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since you didn't give us any information about the wire, it's impossible to say if it is large enough. Even if you did, there isn't much we could say. These wires are designed by the utility according to their own rules.

I doubt that this work was done without a permit. The electric company would not have reinstalled the meter without some evidence of a permit and a passed inspection.

Unless you have some specific reason to doubt the integrity of tihs installation, I would assume that it is okay. If you have doubts, call your electric company. They will either verify that it is okay by consulting their records, or they will send someone out to take a look.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: