COLD BaSeMeNt ??????

Old 01-02-04, 10:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question COLD BaSeMeNt ??????

I have a gas furnace in the basement and need to get more heat in the basement I have 2 ducts running down there 1 for the bathroom down there and 1 right in the middle & I am not sure what wud work ( read the one post how to heat a basement ) & didn't understand almost all of it

"Take and get some 6"take offs, 6" round pipe and some 90o boots 2-1/4"X12"X 6" and 2 1/4 "X 12" floor registers. Cut the take offs in the top of the duct run the pipe to the out side wall where you put the boot on it about 12" in from the out side wall. The register will screw on to this boot. This way you about cover the ??? "WHAAAAAAAAAAAT "

The basement is semi finished and the spot where I need the heat is covered. I am thinking that if I get another gas heater cuz I have a gas line 4 a dryer that is not being used. Does the new heater have 2 B vented also.
And I also saw a propane indoor heater thats hangs on the wall or the floor.

Sorry 2 have this loooooooog question.
any help will B good my granddaughter has to sleep down there.

DaBear

Old 01-03-04, 05:54 AM
DE3ROX
Visiting Guest
You have the same problem I do. In my case, Im running 3 ducts across the ceiling so each one will have a vent above a window (daylight). I also plan on installing a VENTED gas firplace to help with the heat for when my kids use the area.

A friend of mine along with 2 family members are fireman and they all say get a vented!!! "Your burning a fuel and it needs to be exhausted". Just for piece of mind alone, I would go with vented.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-03-04, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
DaBear:

Running ducts from the furnace to the areas you need heat would be the first step.
If the basement is poorly insulated though, the furnace will not run long enough to warm the space.
Depending on energy rates, electric baseboard heaters are a simple solution to supplementary heat.

Old 01-03-04, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb Basement heat

Like has been said here and the fireman said .Get a vented heater if thats the way you want to go.If you look ,a lot of states outlaw the ventless heaters. When the say that they have a safety shut off. Yes for the oxygen depletion but not for the Co2
Go to www.warmair.net this will let you compare fuel cost there .

like Gregh said inulation of the walls would help. Also is there insulation up there on the sill plate in each joist space? The walls above have insulation in them and here you could have just a
1 1/2"wood + the siding to the outside cold. ED

Old 01-03-04, 01:26 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cold basement #2 ?????

Ok I am leaning toward electric heating and have looked around the net and found a heater that is 240 volts and I have a electric 240v dryer.
So now ?? do I have to put in a new addition to the breaker panel & do I need a electrician or is this something I can do, as I ran a new one for the dishwasher 110v.

Net Weight: 20 lbs.
Dimensions: 11" x 10.5" x 9.75"
Input: 208/240V, 14.4/16.7A (4kW/3kW)
Watts: 4000/3000
BtuH: 13,650/10,238
Plug Type: 20 amp
SAFE electric heat without the problems of propane

I also have the option for a
5600W L5600:
30Amp Plug
19,000 Btu

Wud this cost more than a baseborad heater to run cuz I think that I wud need more than 1 or 2 maybe 3
again thanks for whatever help is sent my way.
DaBear

Old 01-03-04, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Da Bear:

The heater you found is or is similar to a portable construction heater.
It would provide a decent heat source but I think that you might find startegically placed baseboards would provide a more even heat.
Also these heaters are quite loud if being used in a sleeping area.

I think you would be wise to get a few quotes from reliable electrical contractors to at least see what you would be looking at for cost.

I will copy this to our electrical forum to see if our resident sparkies have anything to add.

Old 01-03-04, 07:23 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
How about cold air returns? Have you got any of those down there?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: