dryer hook up 4 prong to 3 prong

Old 01-03-04, 12:31 PM
uhgster
Visiting Guest
dryer hook up 4 prong to 3 prong

hi, i have a frigidaire dryer i'm trying to hook up. my old house had the 4 prong plug and the house i just moved in has a 3 prong. i bought a 3 prong cable but i'm not sure how to swap them out since the 4 prong has 4 color coded cables and the 3 prong doesnt (all the wires are the same color). as you look at it going left to right the cables go, red, white, black, with a green wire connecting or grounding off the dryer. any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-07-04, 08:11 AM
ewoh63
Visiting Guest
4 prong to 3 prong

HI:
Just finished doing the same thing!!!The 3 prong wiring is a
middle neutral wire.The other 2 can be attached either way.The
green on the 4 prong is your ground which is not seperated on the 3 prong!So,simply connect the middle to the middle and you are home free.I asked Home depot salesman re same question before I tried it-mine worked fine-yours will to!!

Old 01-07-04, 09:46 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You should consult your dryer installation instructions. This documentation always covers both 3-wire and 4-wire installations. If you no longer have them, they are probably on the manufacturer's web site. Changing from a 4-wire cord to a 3-wire cord always involves the connecting of some sort of jumper or bonding strap.

Old 01-07-04, 09:51 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You must jumper that middle terminal to the chassis ground. Sure your dryer works fine, but it is "unsafe". If voltage were to ever inadvertantly get onto the chassis of your dryer, the breaker wouldn't trip and your whole dryer would be live. There should be metal strap or wire that connects the middle terminal to the dryer body. It is removed (or cut) when using a 4-wire cable because the green wire acts as an independant equipment ground whereas on a 3-wire cable, the neutral and equipment ground functions are shared by the middle conductor of the cable.

There is a danger in obtaining your electrical advice from a shelf-stocker at Home Depot.

Old 01-08-04, 11:22 AM
hawkbird
Visiting Guest
try this site for picture details.

http://fixitnow.com/appliantology/dryercords.htm

Old 01-08-04, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mcjunk
There is a danger in obtaining your electrical advice from a shelf-stocker at Home Depot.
How VERY true!

You are 1000% better off coming here.

Old 01-09-04, 08:00 AM
ewoh63
Visiting Guest
4-3 prong

Thanks for all the helpful comments to mine!!I was not aware of the high esteen Home depot employees are held!!Now that I have found this site,I will be fully informed!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: