Adding a circuit

Old 01-03-04, 07:27 PM
ereefic
Visiting Guest
Adding a circuit

I need to add a new circuit in my basement. There is plenty of room in the panel for new breakers. I don't think it will be that hard and thought with your help, I can do it myself. And save $150 that the electrician wanted to do it. Here's the plan:

Install a new 15A breaker in the panel. Run about 10 - 15' of wire to (2) 2 outlet boxes. That's it!!

Is this something I can do myself? What do I need to get started?

Old 01-03-04, 07:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, this is something you should be able to do yourself -- after reading two or three books on home wiring cover to cover.

Note that most books will suggest leaving the panel work to a pro. This suggestion is not based on the difficulty of such work, but on the danger of it. Make sure you understand that one false move while working in the panel can kill you, even with the main breaker turned off. You can get killed just with the act of removing the panel cover if you accidentally bang it against something inside the panel while removing it. And feeding the new cable into the panel will require extreme care. Satisfy yourself that you fully understand breaker panels before proceeding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: