Kitchen outlets

Old 01-04-04, 02:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Kitchen outlets

After a three way successfully recessed lights installation, now is time for the kitchen outlets.

What I have.
-200A Main Box
-250ft UF-B12/2 with Ground
-Open walls

Since the exterior wall has four window
-Two 36x36
-Two 36x24
in an almost continuous way, with just a 2" central (king?)stud and two jack studs, one each side.
Thatís 6" total of solid wood between windows in the wall where the sink and a raw of cabinets
will be installed.

What I want.
To install at least 4 outlets on that wall, but, because thereís an almost continuous 4 parts window
with solid wood between them and, as far as I know, to put outlets right down the windows is not

What should I do?

Old 01-04-04, 04:20 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,246
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is a kitchen. The coutertop area must be served by two 20 amp circuits, called small appliance circuits. You must have an outlet every two feet, and they must be GFCI protected. Other walls of the kitchen must have outlets too, but they do not need to be every two feet, just countertop areas.

Some people like to use a multiwire circuit, splitting each duplex so that half is on each side of the circuit. Others alternate each circuit every other outlet. Either way works, and as long as you think about what you are doing you won;t rtrip the circuit by putting all your applicances on the same circuit.

If the areas in question are countertop areas then you will need to get outlets here somehow.
Old 01-04-04, 04:43 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You must have an outlet every two feet

Well, not exactly. No spot on the back wall of the counter can be more than two feet from a receptacle. That means a receptacle within two feet of the edge of a counter, and at least one every four feet thereafter. Sinks and cooktops divide the counter into segments where the rule is separately enforced on each side.

Kitchens and bathrooms are the two most regulated rooms in the house. Make sure you get a good book that explains all the kitchen electrical codes. There are more than we have covered here.

You are allowed to use UF-B anywhere that NM-B is allowed, but UF-B is not only more expensive, it is much harder to work with. Consider using NM-B instead in dry areas.

I don't know what "right down the windows" means, but my guess is that it is in fact allowed.
Old 01-04-04, 05:59 PM
Speedy Petey's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,262
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'll chime in and agree about the wire. Do yourself a big favor and pop the $23 for a roll of 12/2 NM (Romex).

You may have to mount the receptacle boxes horizontally under the windows to be able to fit them to cover code.
Like was siad; any space 12" or more and no space shall be more than 24" from a receptacle (basically 4' apart).

Lay out the receptacles to give you the best split of the circuits. I don't care for both circuits sharing the halves of a device. This forces you to use an expensive 2 pole GFI breaker as opposed to two GFI devices @ $7 each.
Old 01-04-04, 08:17 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,246
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. John is correct. I knew what I meant, I just didn't say it the way I wanted to.

It's similar to the 6 foot/12 foot rule for wall outlets in other rooms.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: