Gfci

Old 01-05-04, 09:48 AM
Stan
Visiting Guest
Gfci

Trying to add GFCI protection for a kitchen circuit. There are two different sets (boxes in line) of outlets on the circuit. One set includes a switch for the garbage disposal.

I placed a GFCI breaker in the box and it tests OK (trips) when the test button is pressed. If nothing is "on" it does not trip but when any appliance is plugged in or the disposal is switched on it trips. (There are two units I am tring to do this on and the same thing happens on both so I am pretty sure is is not a bad breaker/GFCI)

I use a single pole GFCI and then re read the instructions and it staed something about not being useable on a three wire shared neutral circuit.

I think that is what I have since in the first boc a black lead seems to be twist connected to two other black leads, one of which goes to the receptacle in that box and the other I think goes to the other box,

My question is two fold:

If I use a two pole GFCI breaker what wires attach to it?

If I use recepticle GFCI's will one protect both boxes? if not, and I install GFCI recepticles on each box on the same circuit, will that work on this shared neutral circuit?

I know could probably solve this by pulling another neutral but I am not sure the conduit will handle another 12 gauge wire.

Thanks

Old 01-05-04, 10:25 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You are correct in that you cannot successfully use the load side of a GFCI receptacle on a multiwire circuit. You are also correct in that a double-pole 120/240 GFCI breaker is the proper solution.

The two hot wires will attach to the two poles of the breaker, and the neutral wire from the same circuit will attach to the neutral connection on the breaker. The pigtail white wire on the breaker will then attach to the neutral bar in the panel.

The other solution, as you mention, is to use a GFCI receptacle in each outlet requiing protection. You will use the line-side connections only and not use the load-side connections at all. As the number of outlets you wish to protect increases, the least expensive solution will shift from the GFCI receptacle to the GFCI breaker.

Old 01-05-04, 11:36 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is something confusing about your original post.

Having a black wire "twist connected" to two other black wires does not by itself indicate a multiwire circuit. All it indicates is that the wire (which should be a hot wire) powers the outlet in the box and then goes on to another junction box. Connecting wires in this manner is the proper method to use.

You still may have a multiwire circuit. But you also may not.

How did you connect wires to the GFCI outlet? Did you connect anything to the load side of the GFCI? if so, what did you connect there? I am suspecting that you only connected something to the hot side of the load terminals.

Old 01-05-04, 12:22 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Good catch Bob. This may not be a multiwire circuit at all. But then we have to figure out some other reason for the GFCI trips. In either case, we need more details.

Old 01-05-04, 01:45 PM
Stan
Visiting Guest
GFCI

I just completed the job using outlet GFCI and everything works as intended. Trips with the test button and stays on with loads attached.

Thanks

Old 01-05-04, 01:51 PM
Stan
Visiting Guest
GFCI

I'll try to clear it up.

Ypu are probably correct in that I did not have a true multi wire circuit and I do not know why the panel gfci didn't work.

In any case I resolved the issue by replacing the original breaker and installing an outlet gfci in the first box ONLY and connecting it per the instructions (line wires from the panel and load wired to the 2nd box)

All works well. I was not correct in what I described in the wires that were wire nutted together.

Thanks to all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: