Blue Green stuff

Old 01-06-04, 06:18 AM
bowsaw
Visiting Guest
Blue Green stuff

I have just purchased a house the has this liquid bluish green stuff on the light switches, but not on the power points, all lights etc seem to work ok, i have been told this is the copper wiring going into meltdown, any ideas? thanks.

Old 01-06-04, 07:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Copper oxide is that color, but I'm not sure if you have an issue of concern or not. Where exactly do you see this color?

Old 01-06-04, 08:02 AM
bowsaw
Visiting Guest
It has leaked out of the wire inside the insulation by the looks of it, very thick on the back of the switches and leaks out past the gap between actual switch and cover that is screwed to the wall. One of the light fittings is dripping with it, took it off and cleaned it up and it looks alright. Been told its a rewire job, but no one seems to know how it gets there.

Old 01-06-04, 08:56 AM
J
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
I have seen this on light colored switches and receptacles in moist locations. It is moisture that comes in contact with the copper. I don't think it is a saftey hazard but it does look ugly and messy.

Old 01-06-04, 09:11 AM
bowsaw
Visiting Guest
Thanks for that, its what i want to hear. Its easily cleanable and if its not a safety hazard that will save me a fortune.

Old 01-07-04, 10:22 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Since you live "down under", I'm not sure how they do things down there. Also you say the job is a "rewire" job. Is the house wired in conduit? Could it be wire lube that was sploodged onto the wire to help it be pulled through the conduit?

How do the exposed conductors look (where they can be seen)?

Old 01-07-04, 11:38 AM
bowsaw
Visiting Guest
No, no conduit, is an old house, 35yrs or so. Wire is encased in the thick white flat ribbon stuff( well about 5mm high), two wires inside. Conducters? not sure what you mean, dont know much about this sort of thing as you may have gathered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: