Portable, remote, GFCI

Old 01-07-04, 05:15 PM
JayM
Visiting Guest
Portable, remote, GFCI

Hello and good day,
First off hope this is the right area even though it isn't really a repair situation. My situation is thus, I need the protection a GFCI outlet provides but can't install a GFCI in location. What I would like to do is build a portable box where in I could install an outlet box and GFCI receptacle inside it. I would do this by using a project box, inside installing a outlet box and then inside that the GFCI. This portable box would then plug in using some 15amp computer cable to the normal outlet. What I would like to know would this work, be safe and be legal?

Background:
At work we have some personal space to use as we see fit. I would like to run a nano-reef aquarium from this space. I know water + electrical is a bad mix, so at home for example I have GFCI receptacles. I talked with the boss and she will not let me change my outlet. With that I thought up this idea. It will also have the added benefit in the ability for me to house all my electrical(ballasts, timers, ect.) in one box that can be easily moved. So when I take vacations it is as simple as unplugged my portable electrical box and taking the tank and box with me.

Old 01-07-04, 05:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No need to build your own. Extension cords with built-in GFCI are readily available.

Old 01-07-04, 05:25 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As John said, buy an extension cord with a built in GFCI. They even make ones with multiple outlets.

Old 01-07-04, 05:47 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
It is very important that you do not build your own portable GFCI cord. Portable GFCI cords are required by OSHA and UL to have "open neutral" protection. The standard GFCI does not have this protection. The open neutral protection is why you must reset the protable GFCI each time you plug it into a power source.
Don

Old 01-07-04, 08:29 PM
JayM
Visiting Guest
Thank you John Nelson and racraft for an alternate solution. And a special thank you to resqcapt19 for the why's.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: