installing recessed fixtures in ceiling

Old 01-11-04, 05:35 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installing recessed fixtures in ceiling

We are going to be finishing our attic, and I will be installing recessed fixtures in the ceiling. The ceiling will be insulated, so I will need to be using the IC fixtures. However, there is also a housing that is sealed so no air infiltration can occur. What application would that be used in?
Since the housing will have the ceiling insulation all around it, is the sealed housing necessary?
Thanks.
Dave

Old 01-11-04, 06:20 AM
I would consider using it for 2 reasons, one to cut down on air infiltration and the biggest concern.. if you would ever get a roof leak.

Old 01-11-04, 06:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I like the sealed units in a roof installation. The non-sealed units are fine in an insulated ceiling where the insulation covers the can or box.
In a roof the box is so close to the uninsulated space the cans can get very cold and will have air leaks if not sealed.

Old 01-11-04, 07:40 AM
D
Thanks for the advice.
I know that you can put fiberglass insulation against the sides of the IC units. How about directly on top of them?
I plan on using the Lightolier Lytecaster with a 50 wat Par30 halogen.

Old 01-11-04, 06:39 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
With IC cans, you can put the insulation whereever you want. I agree that air-tight (sold by Halo as "air-tite") cans are a good idea for this application.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: