Old 01-11-04, 06:46 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathroom adding ceiling fan/light

2 parts to question:

1) Shocking problem with medicine cabinet

2) Adding ceiling fan with light using existing wiring

The house is ~1930 construction. The wiring has been upgraded with circuit breaker box and as far as I can see in the unfinished basement the wires are the newer type. I am not sure about the wiring in the walls etc.

I want to add a new ceiling fan with light and a night light in the upstairs bathroom which already has a ceiling light fixture with 2 wires, black and white, which is controlled by switch on the wall which has 2 wires.

Next to the light switch there is a gfci receptacle installed with newer wire (see pic) which I assume is on its own circuit as when I turned power off at box to light the gfci was still hot.
Then next to that there is a glass and metal medicine cabinet with light kit with 2 wires into this. This cabinet has a problem of shocking us when we touch the door bottom while hand is wet or when standing on the metal floor heat exhaust while touching the metal door on cabinet. What could be causing this and what should i check to fix?

I have purchased a new cabinet with light and a new fan,light,night light kit.

I am wondering if i am able to use the feed from gfci to supply the new fan kit upstream of the gfci and what I need to check/do to correct the shocking problem with medicine cabinet other than replacing metal with wood cabinet.

This was all existing prior to my ownership. I am in middle of drywalling ceiling (just removed the plaster)and am able to either cut the hole for the fan kit and run wire? or return it and put up a simple light fixture similar to the old one.

thanks in advance for your help!

John

Old 01-11-04, 07:09 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I assume that what you are calling a "ceiling fan" is what most people would call an "exhaust fan".

As you can see, your picture did not post. To post a picture, you must upload it to your own web site and then reference it.

What exactly do you mean by, "turned power off at box to light." Are you talking about a circuit breaker in a panel, or a wall switch in the bathroom.

The shock you get from the metal cabinet is probably due to a "bootleg" ground, somebody's attempt to get a ground in an ungrounded house by connecting a neutral to a ground screw. It's a stupid thing to do.

Whether or not code will let you add this new fixture to the same circuit as the bathroom receptacle depends on what all is on this circuit not. This will require you to do some detective work. Don't forget to check the garage and other bathroom receptacles when you do the investigation.

In an older house, it's always wise to run new cable and probably a new circuit any time the wall and/or ceiling is open.

Old 01-11-04, 08:25 PM
S
Yes an exhaust fan.

I turned the circuit breaker off to the power in the bathroom.

I will check to see how many other things are on the same circuit as the gfci plug in bathroom...thanks.

http://groups.msn.com/johnmaggio/ele...o&PhotoID=1330[/IMG]

Old 01-12-04, 04:59 AM
R
Even if you can reuse some of your wiring you will need to add new wires. You only have one line going to your ceiling location. You are talking about a light, a fan and a night light. This means at least two switched hot wires, possibly three, depending on whether you want to switch the fan separately from the light. Do you have access to this bathroom from the attic?

Old 01-12-04, 06:23 AM
S
Bob,

Yes I have access to the attic.

So I will need to run at least 2 more (or 3 for the fan,light,night light) wires to ceiling light from old switch box and also have to run wire from the gfci upstream to the old switch box as well?(assuming there is room on that circuit)

I guess if I am going to need to run wire that I will replace old with all new wire.

The new switch I bought has 3 switches in front and on the back it has 4 holes for inserting wire.

The exhaust fan and switch http://groups.msn.com/johnmaggio/electrical.msnw?Page=1

thanks

John

Old 01-12-04, 07:54 AM
R
If you want to run the fan/light/night light unit off the GFCI then you will need to run 12/2 wire from the GFCI to the switch. You will then need to run 12/4 wire from the switch to the unit.

The 12/2 carries hot and return from the GFCI to the switch, and the 12/4 carries three switched hots and a return to the unit.

The above two cables also need to include a ground a wire. You should probably replace the wiring that goes to your medicine cabinet light as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: