Floor Receptacles

Old 01-12-04, 10:09 AM
Giuseppe
Visiting Guest
Floor Receptacles

We are rewiring an old house that has more than a dozen floor receptacles. The boxes sit flush with the top of the hardwood floors, and they used to have regular duplex covers on them.

Inspector says they need to be replaced with the new special floor receptacles, all brass and expensive. When I checked the Home Improvement store, all they had was one and it was around $50-$60.

So my questions are:

(1) Why do I need to change these receps out? They were existing; they don't get walked upon. These are the kind that are close to the wall, none in the middle of the room like some new homes have.

(2) Is there something that is more affordable? I heard rigid plastic covers are available, but I haven't been able to find any.

Thanks in advance.

--G.

Old 01-12-04, 10:13 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What inspector told you that they had to be replaced? Was a reason given?

In general, residential electric is grandfathered and does not need to be updated until and unless remodeling or replacement is done.

However, if something is unsafe, it should be replaced.

Old 01-12-04, 10:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The inspector is right that your current receptacles do not meet code. And you are right that these boxes are expensive (the prices you found are typical). Since you are rewiring the house, your inspector is requiring you to bring the wiring up to current code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: