Splitting home circuit

Old 01-12-04, 11:15 PM
stoffer
Visiting Guest
Splitting home circuit

Hi. I live in a fraternity house that apparently wasn't put togather very well. I live in a room with 1 roomate, and the room next to us, that also has 2 people in it, runs on the same circuit. Because these 2 rooms run 2 mini-fridges, 2 TV's, space heaters, and 3 desktop computers, we trip the circuit breaker all the time! All the other rooms on our floor are all on their own circuits, and I wanted to know how I would go about adding a switch to the circuit breaker, which is on our floor, so our two rooms would each be on their own circuits.

Thanks.

Old 01-13-04, 04:36 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Contact the owner of ther property. As tenants you should not and probably cannot legally do this yourselves.

Old 01-13-04, 07:24 AM
stoffer
Visiting Guest
We own our own house. With the exception of checking with the grad board, which actually holds the mortgage, there shouldn't be any legal problems.

Old 01-13-04, 07:25 AM
stoffer
Visiting Guest
Would just putting in a 20 amp breaker instead of the current 15 amp be just as good, or would it cause the wires to heat up?

Old 01-13-04, 07:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replacing the 15-amp breakers with 20-amp breakers would risk burning the house down. Don't do it!

Many books on home wiring show how to install a new circuit. It involves putting a new breaker in the panel and running a new cable to your room from the breaker. I would recommend simply adding new outlets and leave the old ones there. This is probably easier than trying to separate them out to the new circuit.

Got any EE majors? That's a start, but don't let them do the work until they read a few books on the electrical code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: