is this going to be enough???

Old 01-14-04, 10:08 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
is this going to be enough???

Hi I am new to this forum - I am in the process of finishing our basement, and have reached the point where I want to start stringing wires for outlets and lights, etc. I want to do as much of the planning and the running of the wires, wiring outlets, fixtures and switches, etc., as I can myself, then have someone come in and wire everything to the circuit panel. Here is the plan:

1 large family room, 6 outlets, 2 light fixtures, there is eventually going to be a large TV/stereo/entertainment system there

2 bedrooms - each with one light fixture and 4 outlets, one of these bedrooms will be used for an office and have a computer set up

1 bathroom, with a light/air fan vented to the outside, and ground-fault outlet

1 storage room with 2 light fixtures and 4 outlets

there is plenty of room on the circuit panel for expansion, probably 10 extra slots right now.

what i want to know is:

what would be the best way to wire this floor plan. should i give the entertainment center and the computer their own circuits, and if so, what would be an adequate circuit size?

would a 20-amp circuit be good enough for each of these rooms?

what gauge of wiring should I use, 14 or 12?

any other tips or suggestions based on the plans I outlined above?

thank you for the help

kind regards,
kevin

Old 01-14-04, 01:48 PM
R
I would run a separate circuit for the television/entertainment center.

You may want to consider a separate circuit for the computer also.

I would make the outlet circuits all 20 amp circuits. I would go with two or three outlet circuits (other than the computer, TV and bathroom circuits).

You can wire the lights all on a single 15 amp circuit if you want, unless you are talking about more than the lighting you mentioned.

The bathroom outlets needs to be on a separate 20 amp curcuit. You can if you want also put the bathroom light/fan on this circuit, but no other rooms can be on that circuit.

Use 12 gauge wire for 20 amp curcuits, 14 gauge wire for 15 amp circuits.

One other note. Can you legally have bedrooms in your basement? In most parts of the country you must have either a second door in the bedroom or a window in the bedroom large enough for a person to fit through. In other words, the bedroom must have 2 means of egress, and typical small basement windows don't count.

Old 01-15-04, 02:05 PM
K
thank you for the information

yes, the bedrooms will be up to fire code - this is a fairly new house (built in 2000), and both bedrooms have a large window that can be push open to the outside in the event of a fire, they were installed that way for that very purpose, just in case we used those rooms down there for bedrooms.

would it be alright to just use the heavier gauge wire everywhere, even for the lower amp breakers? and would it be possible to wire it so that my outlets are wired into the circuit that my lights are on in a given room, or should I just stick with your previous post, and keep the lights on a separate circuit. I was just wondering, because I don't imagine the lights down there are going to draw very much current, are they?

thanks for your help

regards,
kevin

Old 01-15-04, 02:17 PM
R
You can run the lights on the same circuit as the room. The only exception (for your job) is the bathroom. Read my original post for bathroom requirements.

The reason that some people advocate lights on a separate circuit is in case of tripping the breaker. If you plug the iron in and trip the breaker you may not want to be in the dark.

If you are running 12 gauge wire everywhere then use 20 amp breakers. Using 15 amp breakers in this case makes no sense.

Old 01-16-04, 08:47 AM
K
thanks for the great advice, much appreciated

kevin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: