bathroom wire

Old 01-14-04, 10:43 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathroom wire

I just put a wall sconce w/ switch in a small 1/2 bath (tapped into an existing junction box in the basement that controlled the outlets outside the house) several months ago... and it was working fine until the other night. Came home and a spotlight attatched to this circiut outside was out as well as the sconce. Checked the breaker and it wasn't tripped. Re set the breaker anyway... and things still aren't working. Could it be that the switch went bad and is fouling up the circiut? I checked both the wall sconce and outside outlet with an electrical sensor (you know the small beeper that tells you if there is current running through) and there seems to be current (even in the sconce when the switch is off...hmmmm) any ideas? oh... and tried new bulbs too... still no dice

Old 01-14-04, 11:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

The first outlet on the outside circuit is, if it's wired to code, a GCFI receptacle that makes all outside outlets on that same circuit past the first outlet as GFCI-protected, too.
The GFCI outlet is tripped. Find it and reset it.
Good Luck!

Old 01-14-04, 02:28 PM
T
Thanks... I'll give that a try

Old 01-15-04, 07:32 AM
T
thanks again... worked like a charm... I guess my confusion was I was only checking the 2nd outside outlet and not the 1st GFCI protected one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: