Ceiling Fan Tick

Old 01-18-04, 07:33 AM
Fastlane33
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan Tick

I need some help here please...

I have a ceiling fan and it is working fine except that after it has been on for about 1/2 hour, it starts to make a ticking sound. Almost like a piece of metal is hitting the case. It is weird that it would start doing this after it has been on for a while.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advace.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-04, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How old is the fan? What brand is it? Is it controlled by a dimmer?

Old 01-18-04, 06:26 PM
Is your fan a Hunter? I have one that makes the same noise - It's intermittant and I have yet to figure out why it does it. Mine only does it on low speed and I can usually make it quit by going to medium or high for a few minutes. Nine times out of ten, that clears it up for several days or weeks.

It's been doing that for 2-3 years and whatever it is, the fan still seems fine.

Old 01-18-04, 06:34 PM
Fastlane33
Visiting Guest
I believe that it is a Hunter fan and is about 10 years old, but it has been doing this for a while now. It doesn't really matter what speed the fan is on, the tick still happens. It is too weird.

Old 01-18-04, 06:43 PM
Sounds like the bearings are going. When you can't stand it any longer, buy a new fan. They're cheap.

Old 01-19-04, 12:37 PM
Fastlane33
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it. I guess it is off to the store for a new fan.

Old 01-19-04, 05:46 PM
This might sound odd, but i've heard of a fan that after being on for a while (warming up the bearings), it wbbeled ever so slightly different than when it was first turned on.
Would you know it, but the pull chain for the fan began to knock against the light fixture globe making a ticking sound.
Do you have any pull chains that might be doing this?

Old 01-19-04, 06:53 PM
Good point Ron. If the fan wobbles, the ticking sound could also be coming from the hanging bracket. So if the fan wobbles, it might be good to rebalance first before replacing.

Old 01-19-04, 08:47 PM
Here's one weirder. I worked on one that had an odd "tick". Turns out whoever installed it used masking tape to hold up loose wallpaper around the ceiling box. It had come loose and was hanging down enough hit the fan as it turned...I could even imagine a loose label causing a tick. I'd check it out before replacing.

Old 01-20-04, 03:57 AM
DE3ROX
Visiting Guest
I was going to post the same reply that ron did. My old fan had a chain that "ticked" I never used it, as it was for on-off function, and I had a light switch for that.

Old 01-25-04, 04:12 AM
emmettr
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan Tick

I have a fan that makes a "tick" at low speeds. Mine seems to come from a suspension ball that the fan hangs from. The fan suspension pipe screws into this ball which sits in a sort of socket in the cover plate and and allows the fan to hang vertical. The "tick" comes from that suspension point and I have found that if I move it the slightest amount, the "tick" goes away (for a short time). You might check the suspension points on your fan.

Emmett

Old 06-21-08, 02:57 PM
I have the same issue with a brand new ceiling fan. The ticking doesn't start until a couple of hours of continuous running on medium speed. We just spent 2 solid hours making sure we eliminated as much wobble as possible. We tried it again and sure enough after about two hours it started to tick again. We removed the pull chains. We want it simple, only the wall switch and that's it.

What I suspect is happening is the slight wobble is causing the ball in the cage it hangs from the warm up. As it warms up I believe the static friction increases resulting in an audible tick. I'm going to put some lithium grease on it to see if that solves the problem. I will post back to let everyone know what the results are.

Cheers,
Scott

Old 07-12-08, 08:45 AM
I figured it out, but I have no clue what was wrong.

I started to take it apart and while working on it I could hear the tick just by moving it while working. So I tried to isolate the sound. It almost sounded like it was coming from the unit itself, or at least using the rod as a sounding board. I took apart as much of the fan as I could while it was hanging in place to see if I could figure out where the sound was coming from. I couldn't find it so I put it all back together. Haven't heard the tick again since.

I concluded the unit itself was not making the noise and maybe there were some screws just loose enough to allow the noise to happen. I hope this helps for everyone that has a similar problem.

Cheers,
Scott